Remodeling your kitchen can add functionality and value to your home. However, such renovations can cost thousands upon thousands of dollars, which most people simply don’t have to spare in this depressed economy. That doesn’t mean that you can’t have your kitchen remodeled it simply means that you will have do so on a budget that might be less than ideal. However, in order to help you get started here are some cheap kitchen remodel ideas to keep yourself within budget.
1. Start by setting your remodeling budget. You know what you can afford to spend and setting aside that amount and staying within the budget is the first step in getting a new kitchen look without the worry of how you are going to pay the bills.
2. Take a hard look at your kitchen. Decide if your kitchen really needs to be renovated or simply needs to have a new, fresher look. Keep in mind that cabinets, counter tops, and appliances are huge expenses that are best to avoid unless you have a lot of disposable income. Make a list of those changes that are absolutely necessary to make your kitchen more functional and make those changes first.
3. Remember, there are various small and inexpensive things you can do that will give your kitchen a bright new look without spending a lot of money. Sanding and repainting cabinets may take a lot of work but can help give your kitchen an entirely new look for much less than replacing your cabinetry. Fresh paint, stenciling, new curtains, area rugs, and a few shelves placed just right are all inexpensive ways to give your kitchen a face-lift. Some colorful place mats and a nice centerpiece can make that breakfast nook look totally different.
4. Changing your lighting or light fixtures may also make your kitchen more functional and look warmer and more inviting.
5. If your kitchen really does need a complete overall, then consider making changes a few at time and take advantage of any way you can lower the price. For example, there are many resale shops that now carry appliances and you just may get a new looking refrigerator or stove at a reduced price if you take the time to visit some of these places. Also consider getting appliances that are energy star rated as this will help you recover some of your cost slowly over time as you will be paying less for utilities.
6. You might also consider doing as much of the actual remodeling as you can yourself. While you may want a professional to put in those new cabinets or lay down that tile floor, you can certainly paint walls yourself and save on the cost of some of the labor.
By setting a budget and sticking to it, making wise decisions and doing as much of the labor yourself as you reasonably can, it is possible put a few cheap kitchen remodel ideas to work for you and spend less than you ever thought possible.
Want more great kitchen remodel ideas? Check out http://www.jimhicks.com to learn all about transforming your dull, drab kitchen into the dream kitchen you’ve always wanted.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Judi_Blake